Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Caring for the Environment and Conservation is Personal with Beto O'Rourke


Beto O'Rourke with friend, David Guinn, on a hike 
at Smuggler's Gap in the Franklins
(Click on each image to enlarge.)

Democratic U.S. Congressional candidate, Beto O'Rourke, has always been one of the great heroes to El Paso's conservation and environmental community. As he says below, "I understand at a personal level that these issues are deeply connected to quality of life for me, my family and this community."

Here is Beto O'Rourke on his love and work for conservation in the El Paso region:

"As a life-long El Pasoan I've spent countless hours hiking and walking in the Franklin Mountain State Park as well as in the arroyos, levees and open desert areas around town. I'm an avid back-packer and regularly take trips into the Gila and the Lincoln National Forest. Conservation and environment protection are not abstractions and working on these issues is not political gesture; I understand at a personal level that these issues are deeply connected to quality of life for me, my family and this community.

Beto and Amy with children 
at Celebration of Our Mountains Scenic Sunday event

Before I was elected to Council I joined neighborhood and community efforts to stop the re-permitting of ASARCO, and once I was on Council I did everything in my power to ensure that the smelter did not re-open. 

On Council I was the beneficiary of time spent with people like Charlie Wakeem and Rick Bonart who made sure I understood the importance of preserving arroyos, of favoring natural irrigation channels vs. concrete, and of preserving the greatest natural assets this community has. 

Conservation and environment protection are not abstractions and working on these issues is not political gesture; I understand at a personal level that these issues are deeply connected to quality of life for me, my family and this community.

I worked with them and others to preserve arroyos, protect important natural open space and push the envelope in the planning and development process to stop sprawl development. I also did my best to make sure that the Open Space Advisory Board kept its power to influence the direction that development took in El Paso in a positive way.

When the Chamber of Commerce and REDCO floated an idea to develop Castner Range, I helped ensure that the Council came out strongly against the proposal and strongly for preserving Castner in its entirety. 

I worked with Steve Ortega to write into ordinance that a percentage of all revenues from Stormwater fees were dedicated to open space preservation. This helped lead to the purchase of the Palisades trail system in the Crazy Cat area of the Franklins. 

I did my best to work with John Sproul and others who were trying to get additional water resources for Rio Bosque, even though it was not in my Council district. 

My dedication to open space preservation, to encouraging sustainable development, to protecting and promoting our natural assets will continue if I am elected to represent El Paso in the U.S. Congress." 

Backpacking to Hillsboro Peak in the Gila Wilderness


My dedication to open space preservation, to encouraging sustainable development, to protecting and promoting our natural assets will continue if I am elected to represent El Paso in the U.S. Congress." - Beto O'Rourke

1 comment:

  1. Why did Beto sell out to El Paso's 1% on the Transmountain issue? He will say anything to get elected. At least Reyes gives you a straight yes or no answer with a reason.

    ReplyDelete