Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Las Abuelas Saben

In these times of high prices - especially medical prices - unemployment and recession, many are turning to herbal remedies to save money. Sales of herbal meds are up. What families are discovering is something the abuelas of the Hispanic southwest and native American culture have always known - the healing power of plants.

In many small yards in and around my neighborhood are container gardens and small beds of herbs and succulents that are useful for medicine. If you go to any Mexican grocer in El Paso, you will find bags of herbs that are not used for cooking but for medicinal purposes.

Once at one such grocer, a Mexican gentleman recommended Arnica to me. I took the herb home, soaked it in some vegetable oil for a day, and applied it to a sore arm. It worked better than any of the modern analgesic rubs. It cost me about a dollar and I still have much of it left.

This is only one small example. However, growing in yards and on patios throughout El Paso are the herbs known to and used by Abuelas for centuries.

1 comment:

  1. I use Istifate as an anti-inflammatory. Make it in a tea. It is a bitter tea. With some time you grow accustomed to the taste. I use it when I have gall bladder attacks. It helps with nausea and calms the inflammation of the gall bladder.
    I have done some research on the plant and it is part of the sage family. It is a gray silvery looking plant similar to sage. It grows in desert climates and most people dismiss it as a weed. Never the wiser that it is the cheapest most effective anti-inflammatory I have found for a gall bladder attack. $1.29 for a large bag at my store.
    One of the pearls of advice my guelita shared with me.

    ReplyDelete