Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

New Endorsements

Candidate Rick Schecter listens as environmental activist Bill Addington makes a point.

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.” So wrote American Transcendentalist philosopher, poet and, yes, divine, Ralph Waldo Emerson. (In case you didn’t know, “divine” is a fancy word for one in the clergy.)

I made some mistakes with my endorsements. I apologize if anyone voted in , early voting based on those recommendations. At first, I thought that I would just let it ride – but I can’t. To try to be strongly resolute would be an egregious and foolish consistency. Remember, I am making endorsements based on environmental and conservation issues although I admit that one can’t base things on one issue and politics and statesmanship require give and take.

There is just too much “baggage” out there with Ms. Mejia. I am the last person to judge. I’m the tax collector in Jesus’ parable in Luke’s Gospel (18:10ff) not the Pharisee. Governing requires getting along and relationships and friendships. I’ll back off my endorsement for District 5. Perhaps some of you in the conservation community will have some suggestions. (I’m posting this same message online, so comment there.)

The District 1 race is more difficult. Recently in an El Paso Times story but more especially in a post from David Karlsruher’s blog, Refuse the Juice, Lyda Ness-Garcia’s substantial debt problems came up. The El Paso Times addressed the issue and Ms. Ness-Garcia says that she is making every effort to make good on her debts and not take the easier road of bankruptcy. Good for her. She is articulate and has a good handle of the issues. She would be a stronger candidate if she would first take care of her business debts. She would then be running as a candidate who overcame her adversities. I look forward to supporting that candidate in the future.

For a long time, Mr. Rick Schecter, has been the champion of open space and the environment. He does his homework. He has integrity. It isn’t just that he should be the conservation community candidate, he has already been that candidate for a long time. He deserves our support. I endorse him.

Do know that I like Ms. Ware-Asbury and know that some in our conservation community will vote for her. I think that she is not as strong or knowledgeable about the issues as Mr. Schecter is. I also like Ann Lilly as a person and admire her service and appreciate her work in helping to preserve Arroyo 41-A. I think she will always side with developers first and open space and/or SmartCode second. It’s a difference of opinion and nothing more.

So, here are the endorsements:

District 1: Richard Schecter

District 5: None – wait for the run-offs

District 6: Eddie Holguin

District 8: Ernesto Villanueva, Jr.

5 comments:

  1. I appreciate your corrections. In the case of Lyda Ness-Garcia, it is entirely unacceptable that a City Council member have outstanding tax debt. (Bankruptcy does not dismiss tax debt and Ms Ness-Gacia knows that.) She should have volunteered information about her debts instead of allowing her supporters to believe her to be viable candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to preface this with I've been a big supporter of Jim and have taken the lead on several hikes. I have walked for the last several years with the Sunrise, El Paso Ridgewalkers, Celebrate our Mountains, and the Adventure Groups. I am a nature enthusiast to the max!

    That all said, I am truly disappointed in your redaction. I will continue to support Ms. Garcia. Out of all of the candidates she is the only one who was gone all out, worked the hardest, believes in the environment and wants to see the Westside grow. Her tax issues are a personal business matter (one she has admitted she had and corrected). I am aghast that no one asked Lilly about her many lawsuits (one she paid out over 100K on); or Manny's assault charge, 2 divorces and and child support problems; or Tim Besco's "Fuck You and I Hope You Rot In Hell Letter" the the local Republican Leadership; or Abe Peinado's tax issues ... the laundry list goes on and on. A

    The real thing here is who is best for the environment. I feel Garcia continues to be. She worked pro-bono for Ralph Nader fighting environmental issues, she is a renowned rock climber and spent time in Africa helping fight for preserves. None of the other candidates come close to this type of dedication. Jim, this time you are wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure that I'm wrong on this one. Ness is supported by the anti-city manager/smart code crowd of Rubin, Malooly, Ayoub, and Dipp. (That's Gerald Rubin of River Oaks Properties/Helen of Troy. The same guy/bunch behind Corney Niland: http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_17995661?IADID=Search-www.elpasotimes.com-www.elpasotimes.com.)There has always been a buzz that the developers/homebuilders have been Lyda's big supporters. Her campaign finance report (http://www.elpasotexas.gov/muni_clerk/_documents/2011_regular_election/8th_Lyda%20A.%20Ness-Garcia.pdf#view=fitH) is telling. I have been told, and I will check it out, that some of the builders are letting her put her signs up on their properties.

    Furthermore, that Ness has support from the anti-City Manager crowd does not work for me. Simply put, I like the job Joyce Wilson is doing and I'm glad that we have her. Want to go back to a strong Mayor form of government with John Cook in charge? No thank you.

    That someone gets behind on taxes or whatever is not the principal issue for me. But that, coupled with what appears to be stealth support from the builders, tells me that perhaps she may tell some groups what they want to hear.

    Finally, I'm aware of some of Lilly's deals. OTOH, I endorsed Richard Schecter NOT Lilly so comments about Lilly are not relevant in the context of my endorsement.

    Hopefully, whoever you are, we will stay friends and hiking buddies and agree to disagree. However, I do hope that you check into some of the facts that I have mentioned above. Schecter has always been one of us. I'm sorry that I didn't see that from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually you can discharge these debts. I know this for a fact. Notwithstanding she has always been honest about it and addressed it head on. Lilly has a judgment from 2010 for $140,000 against her from a tenant. She has a criminal history. She is currently being investigated for her abuse of her position which is OUR taxpayer dollars. Those open records show a long term history with Mark Smith and Hunt who will destroy the open spaces on the Westside.
    Having signs up on Malooly's properties is hardly $17,000 by the PAC big boys. Dipp is strongly connected to the Democrats and it would be understandable that he would support her. Mimco never supported her or gave her money. Neither did Dipp or Malooly so it would be foolish to assume that she is in bed with them. Similarly having Rubin give her money hardly indicates anything.
    What do we know?
    (1) Since day 1 Ness has been vocally in support of open spaces, against the Transmountain expansion beyond Resler. She has never deviated or flip flopped on that position.
    (2) Lilly voted for Transmountain and broke every promise to us on that including the expansion of Redd road. She has lied to our face.
    (3) Hunt owns Lilly! No ifs ands or buts. You can not compare $17,000 to $1000 from Rubin and some signs on Malooly's properties. By the way, she and Malooly go to the same church which may also explain the connection.
    (4) Lilly has cancelled every forum/debate these next weeks.
    (5) Ness's track record. I mean look at her history. She has worked for environmental issues. Stood strong on these. Lilly didn't even attend our forum.
    I heard Ness there and she was clear and unequivocable on that.
    Stop listening to the gossip. We have Lilly who has lied to us about every major issue on the environment and now says she will now vote completely contrary to her previous votes to garner Abe and Manny's support. Her vote is bought and paid for and she sold her soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annonymous - how I wish I could communicate with you directly and personally. Your last words make lots of sense but I (and others) still have questions. If at all possible, please email me. I can also email my cell number to you so we can talk. I don't bite and will respect confidentiality.

    ReplyDelete