Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Song of the Day: Ceiba Performs Xochiplzahuatl

The first music group I heard after I moved back to El Paso in 2006 was Ceiba. I instantly fell in love with this group and their magical music. My neighborhood association, Newman Park Neighborhood Association, has been fortunate to have Ceiba play twice. Their last performance was a concert of a lifetime. It was performed in honor of Lorrenzo "Lencho" Guel who had succumbed to cancer just days before. I will never forget his wife, Jena, crying out at the end of the concert: "Lencho presente!"

They have only two videos online of which I am aware. Here is their performance of "Xochiplzahuatl", a traditional Mexican song from the Huatescan region sung at weddings in honor of the Virgin of Guadalupe. This video was taken at their gig at the Pancho Villa museum in Columbus, New Mexico in 2008 during the annual Cactus Carnival.


No comments:

Post a Comment