Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

The Friday Video: This Land IS Our Land

Few people know that Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Our Land" has more verses to it. Several have been censored out over the years to make it more politically correct. Folk song legend, Pete Seeger, sang the complete version at the 2009 Inauguration of President Obama. You can learn more about this event and the full lyrics of Guthrie's classic from Truthout

The censored verses are:

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me; 
Sign was painted, it said private property; 
But on the back side it didn't say nothing; 
That side was made for you and me. 

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people, 
By the relief office I seen my people; 
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking 
Is this land made for you and me? 

Nobody living can ever stop me, 
As I go walking that freedom highway; 
Nobody living can ever make me turn back 

This land was made for you and me.

"Private property" in the first verse above sometimes reads "No Trespassin'".

It is today's video because, the more I reflect about it, we often butt heads with the Water District and others over land they control. But I'm telling you: This Land IS Our Land - and the water too. Time to act accordingly.



No comments:

Post a Comment