Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

El Paso's Advantage

In case you missed the comment, Chris from Seattle wrote:
"I am moving to El Paso in May after 3 years here in Seattle. Though I miss the desert and am looking forward to being on the border, I have lamented the loss of locally grown markets that are ubiquitous up here. I fully support the mission of this blog and look forward to learning more and helping to establish both community gardens and local markets."

I fully understand. Prior to moving back to my hometown two and a half years ago, I lived in the Seattle area - Issaquah and Sammamish to be exact. It was there where I began valuing all of the locally-grown food, organic farming, support for farmers and farmers markets. During my last four years there I helped a local farmer's organization, the Sno-Valley Tilth, with some of their marketing. I was part of the committee that began and oversaw the now very successful farmers market in Carnation in the beautiful Snoqualmie Valley. For three years I wrote the market e-letter once a week for 52 weeks of the year. It was there that I also began my blog on the trend toward local, organic food: Conkey's Tavern.

So, welcome back to the desert, Chris. Know one advantage the El Paso region has over the Pacific Northwest (besides sunshine): a growing season that is 365 days long year after year.

No comments:

Post a Comment